BGL
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BGL

Welcome to the forums of the BGL, where the Beginners Get Lucky.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Bolstering Lower Ranks

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Galifre
Serf
Serf
Galifre

Bolstering Lower Ranks Empty
PostSubject: Bolstering Lower Ranks   Bolstering Lower Ranks I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 7:34 pm

I know we make it pretty easy and I may be way off base with addressing this demographic, but can we develop a bullet statement email we send to new members that get them on track quickly? I was thinking of ways we could bump our win ration up again while staying true to our mission of assisting beginners. I know we have many beginner guides available, but I am thinking some of these beginners must not be getting on-board very quickly and as a result are getting dinged. I know most don't plan to enter the Arena, but basic level optimizing will keep the vultures from these weaker players.

Any other ideas for maintaining the mission and bumping ratios at the same time?
Back to top Go down
YukiOtoko
Serf
Serf
YukiOtoko

PostSubject: Re: Bolstering Lower Ranks   Bolstering Lower Ranks I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 8:19 pm

Actually I was lucky as I pestered Ginzaki when I joined and he patiently responded to my now with hindsight experience, obvious questions.
The Japanese have an effective system called sempai/kohai:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senpai_and_k%C5%8Dhai

In short a senior mentors a junior. It gets more complicated than that in the Japanese context but this is a game so that is enough.
Any 'senior' members could put there hands up to take care of a new member or two. Takes the load of the hardworking few and also helps develop the BGL community.

I'll put my time where my mouth is - I'll take a couple of new members to guide them. Just give me the names.
Back to top Go down
Ginzaki
Admin
Admin
Ginzaki

PostSubject: Re: Bolstering Lower Ranks   Bolstering Lower Ranks I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 9:03 pm

I like this idea, I think I'll make a forum section where senior members can make a thread where they recruit their own faction of pupils to mentor.
Back to top Go down
Galifre
Serf
Serf
Galifre

PostSubject: Re: Bolstering Lower Ranks   Bolstering Lower Ranks I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 9:08 pm

I am familiar with the sempai/kohai ( we use it in Shotokan Karate) and agree. The Spartans had a similar system. This could get interesting. Maybe we could use the Sempai forum for motivating each other and creating milestones that will keep the game interesting for us long timers also?
Back to top Go down
Galifre
Serf
Serf
Galifre

PostSubject: Re: Bolstering Lower Ranks   Bolstering Lower Ranks I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 9:15 pm

Yuki, any chance you could phoneticize these two Japanese words for me (Honne and Tatemae) so I can pronounce them correctly?
Back to top Go down
YukiOtoko
Serf
Serf
YukiOtoko

PostSubject: Re: Bolstering Lower Ranks   Bolstering Lower Ranks I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 14, 2010 5:44 am

Sure, np.

Honne = Hon/neigh Like hon from Honda and neigh from neighbo(u)r
Tatemae = ta/te/mae - ta like tar make the r short, te like day but make it tay, and my.
simple rule is break any word into syllables and not think of it as an alphabet.
Hope that helps.
Back to top Go down
Galifre
Serf
Serf
Galifre

PostSubject: Re: Bolstering Lower Ranks   Bolstering Lower Ranks I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 14, 2010 11:20 am

Thank you.
Back to top Go down
BGL Dave
Knight
Knight
BGL Dave

PostSubject: Re: Bolstering Lower Ranks   Bolstering Lower Ranks I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 15, 2010 9:29 am

Hmmm... almost like each leader working on building up mini armies from the new recruits. Mini armies that could each have specific goals passed down from the 'general' (goals that are in line with the clan's overall mission and goals).

Some could be battling related... some adventure related... some exploring, some recruiting, etc...

I like the idea Galifre (and others that have chipped in). If organized properly, we could see the number of active members double by the end of the summer.
Back to top Go down
Galifre
Serf
Serf
Galifre

PostSubject: Re: Bolstering Lower Ranks   Bolstering Lower Ranks I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 15, 2010 6:55 pm

Could I recommend catching new recruits at the invitation phase with a form letter explaining our mentorship program and a link to the Mentor/Apprentice page. Maybe that could be part of the protocol for anyone who sends invites.
Back to top Go down
Galifre
Serf
Serf
Galifre

PostSubject: Re: Bolstering Lower Ranks   Bolstering Lower Ranks I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 15, 2010 7:07 pm

Sorry for the number of post, but my brain is firing right now and I don't want to forget to bring it up, but this could possible lessen the burden on armory administration. We could micromanage who gets what and when. Mentors could easily vet players for higher level weapons when needed.
Back to top Go down
Sweetpurchase
Knight
Knight
Sweetpurchase

PostSubject: Re: Bolstering Lower Ranks   Bolstering Lower Ranks I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 12:27 am

this is very true and we can gift these items when we see fit with out them having to request them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bolstering Lower Ranks   Bolstering Lower Ranks I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bolstering Lower Ranks
Page 1 of 1